Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Straight from the Horse's Mouth


Last night I finally had a rheumatology consult with Dr. Kazir. He is a very dapper looking man with pretty blue eyes. He wears glasses that come apart at the nose bridge. He came in to meet me and get my story. He said that medical charts lie. He said that people end up perpetuating theories and thoughts that may or may not be true so he wanted to get this story straight from "the horse's mouth".

He hasn't been back yet today but he wants to get me off the Prednisone. He also knows my current rheumy. They were "fellows" together at SMU. I trust this guy more than Dr. Nan. I know he's consulting with her and getting my history and her thoughts about my situation. I just have a strong feeling that he's going to figure this out.

As he examined me and spoke with me he asked me how I had such a positive attitude. I just told him that I felt that God was in control, that I had lots of people praying for me and that I was going to have to take one day at a time. Things are what they are and getting mad isn't going to change a thing.

Ok...he just came in. He said that he reviewed my chart for 2 hours yesterday and that he thinks I had a virus that is going to go away. He is tapering my Prednisone down 5mg a week until we're off. He thinks by then I won't need any medication. That would be wonderful! He also said that as he read the chart he wondered if they tested me for syphillis! WHAT????? Is he serious! NOT even a remote possibility! He also said something about a rare condition called sarcoidosis. He was just going through any and all possibilities. Anyway...I asked him if he would take me on as a patient once I'm out of here...he said yes so I will make the trip down to Dallas to see him once I'm outta here.

When I went to bed last night I had a lot of swelling in my legs. You could press them in and see a huge indentation. I worried about that thinking they might have to take me to dialysis to get more fluids off. Apparently my kidneys must be taking over. They are producing urine and I had to get up a couple of times during the night to use the restroom.

There is no more blood in anything so that's a HUGE blessing. Speaking of blood, my platelets are increasing so that's good and my creatine levels, which measure kidney function, are coming down. Normal is 1 and mine was 6.6 when I got here, it's down to 4 so I'm happy about that.

My mom will arrive tonight around 8 pm. I'm glad to have her be with me. She asks good questions of the doctors and will be able to remember what they say better than I am.

So there you have it...straight from the horse's mouth...Neighhhhhh.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you feel confident in this Dr. Yeah praying for Dr glasses. I liked the description. I'm trying to picture these glasses. Anyway, so happy to hear of some progress and that your mom can be there with you. So good of her to come help.

    OK so just a little humor for you and I hope you remember the show Young Frankenstein. Its one of my favorites. Considering the Dr was saying he got it straight from the horses mouth and you wrote Neighhhh I had to add in this quote:

    Frau Blücher: Good night, Herr Doktor.
    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Good night, Frau Blücher.
    (then the horse does its neighhhhhhhhh)

    Hope you get some good rest tonight but getting up to pee - thats a good thing!

    ReplyDelete